Monday, April 9, 2007

United by Life

The colour changed once again, ascertaining a fact, she found almost impossible to believe… or perhaps she was living the moment like a dream? It was not before the tears started streaming down her eyes, that she realized it was, but true. The tears trickling down her cheeks and neck tickled her and made her shiver… or was it the thought, the anticipation, which had that effect? She couldn’t say. She did not know how to react... She just sank down on the floor of the bathroom, weeping and smiling at once… tears of joy, tears of fear, tears of anticipation, tears of tenderness… and an all pervading smile. Then as if waking up from a deep slumber, she gathered herself and walked to the mirror. Staring at her own reflection in the mirror, she smiled… now a smile of pure joy, of heavenly bliss. She could see a strange glow on her face, was it the beaming joy, or the radiance of another life within her… she mused to herself. Her eyes softened further… the brown pupils becoming lighter and then all became hazy like drawing a transparent curtain.

That evening she waited eagerly for the sound of her husband’s car, for the screeching of the elevator as it came to a halt on their floor, for his footsteps, for the unique sound that the door-bell produced only at his touch… the touch of its master. It was 8.00 p.m. and she was expecting him anytime now. She tried to imagine how she would break the news to him… how she would word it… Standing in front of the mirror, she tried different lines, different expressions… rehearsed them several times. But everything sounded so clichéd that she laughed out aloud at the very thought of saying it, ultimately leaving it to impulse. Probably it would just come out when she actually faced him… perhaps he would just read it in her expressions and she would not even have to utter a word… perhaps he too would notice the glow on her face… She just wanted him to come home now…. Immediately. In the wink of an eye, she just wanted him to be standing next to her.

The clock struck 10.00 and she was getting impatient. Every minute passed like an hour as she sat watching the high-dose of melodrama in one of those daily soaps. Every few minutes, she would run upto the balcony and peep down looking for his car… but there was no trace of him. His cell phone like many other occasions was switched off, the battery would have died down as usual, she muttered. Close to 10.30, she finally heard his car pull-up the entrance drive-way. She rushed to the dressing table, to give a final touch-up. She had dressed-up for the occasion, clad in a pretty red saree with bandani print. She let her hair lose, just the way he liked it. And when the door–bell finally rang, she almost broke into a run, in her eagerness to open the door. He looked famished. It was a busy day with back-to-back meetings on the new project. Being almost year-end, he was putting in extra efforts to make sure it made that desired impact on his appraisal. Tired, hungry, sleepy, as he was, he just collapsed on the laz-y-boy, but not before complementing her on how ravishing she looked that evening. She hurried to serve his dinner. Dinner was a quite affair in front of the television, as had been the custom ever since the world-cup started. She cleared the plates and utensils and came back prepared to share with him the big news, only to realize that he was already snoring on the bed. She laid down by his side, a little disappointed. But she understood. It was a tiring day and the morrow would give her a still better opportunity. A new day for a new beginning… And thinking about the exciting promise that the sunrise held for them, she dozed off.

Dawn broke, beautiful as ever, with the chirping of the birds and sounds of hymns and bells at the nearby temple. He was still fast asleep and looked peacefully content in his slumber. She got up and wound the curtains to let some fresh sunlight enter the room. Then she walked up to his side of the bed and gently ruffled his hair and whispered his name. He just lazily tossed and slept over. She then sat beside his pillow and took his hands tenderly in her own and placed it over her tummy… gently stroking it, feeling the life within her womb through his touch… as if hearing the heart-beat of the new life breathing in her… as if feeling the rhythm of its breath. He turned over to look at her, a little surprised at her gesture… and what he saw then, at that moment was probably the sight he would never forget in his entire life. There she sat next to him, tears rolling down her cheeks, a gentle smile on her lips, and an expression that was indescribably tender… an expression he had never seen… an expression that made him forget the world and just want to pull her close to himself… so close that she could enter his soul… so close that she could be a part of him… so close that they could never be parted again. At that moment, he wanted their existence to merge… their breathing to be united, their heartbeats to melt into each other… and their souls reveling in this union. As they cuddled together, they felt of a strange bonding between them, a unison that was way beyond any intimacy that they had ever shared… as if united by a miraculous force of life, not to be parted until death and thereafter…

26 comments:

AakASH!!! said...

Shall i exhale now?

Beautiful, meenakshi!

Anonymous said...

beeeeeeeeautiful dear...what a marvellous description of a day in womanhood!!!

love u for this...u r really the "BEST" ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Minakshi..cool story...very well written...

Amandeep Singh said...

Well....leaves with mm short of words...
Minakshi....Are you some proff writer....or what..U publish or stuff?
Tell me please.....

Unknown said...

xtremely well written ppls try u ll sure to get published good post

Winged Fantasy said...

@aakash!!!: :-)
ummmmmmmmm... let me see... err... aaaaannnn. shall I?... ummmmm....
U still alive? oh ok alright...you may. hahahahaha ;-)

Thank you aakash. :-)

@anonymous: Thank you thank you :-)

@Anandita: Thank you buddy... and how are you? Aur shukriya... you visited my blog. :-)

@standbymind: No Aman I am not. Mujhe chane ki jhaad par mat chadhao... I am learning. And I am by no means being modest. But there is so much to learn... I need to work on my vocab too. But thanks a lot. :-)

@protegeoflife: Thanks Protege. and sure I will sometime in life. :-)

Prince K. said...

Wow.
I would love that to happen with me. But, then. It's far... too far.
I see it bleakly in the horizon.
Which, I daresay, I may never reach.
Or maybe I'll cease following my current path and follow a different one.
And then, it's such a piece of writing, which will make me wait for that day.
Even if I don't want a child.
{Let's just say it's a terrible amount of responsibility that I am cowering before...}

Minakshi. You are awesome.
Full stop.

****

Er.. well. :$
I am, young, yes. But it did not register that I am still in school?
Weird.
{You really don't think I act like a self-obsessed teen?}

Winged Fantasy said...

@kazarelth: hahahaha no I don't think you act like a self-obsessed teen... but you are far more matured for your age.

Yeah it happens with me... I form an image of each person I interact with (not physical, but a hazy outline... more on the cognition and affect levels) and most of the times, the little facts, demographics etc available about them escape my scheme of things. Weird it is. :-)

And thanks for your comment. I know it is a day everyone waits for. To give birth to a life is probably the most divine feeling. Responsibility it is... but at some stage of life, when you are prepared for it... it is a great pleasure. :-)

Caladrius said...

hmmm very well written, for it could make the reader visualise the virtual scenes side by side. all i can say is it is quite excellently written, although i can't say much about the emotional value of this piece due to my acute lack of sentimental sensibilities ( bade bade shabd ! ) but from what i read in these comments, i think it scores exceptionally high in that aspect as well.

Amandeep Singh said...

No I meant that...Yes I know you may have loads to learn..and you will grow..but do give it a serious thought..I ll be happy to know when you are ready!
Really..

Aruni RC said...

I really appreciate your writing. Without the use of excessive descriptives, the sense of togetherness is brought out masterfully.
Quite the perfect couple. Makes one wonder at all the problems of pregnancy, when the spouse does not want the burden of an extra mouth. All that seemed immaterial, after reading your story, when set beside the joy of bringing forth a new life.,,

And thanks you for visiting. I checked out swaroop biswas's log. The last picture in especial can be related to.

Keep writing!

Prince K. said...

Er. Yes. Everyone forms a basic outline of the authors from the blogs that they visit.
And most of the time it is the true identity. No masks. No ghostly visages. Just the blogger. And nothing else.
And so, I have a fair idea that you have figured out quite an image of me :).

I suppose giving birth *is* divine enough. :). And that only women have been given this right. Moreover, us men, can do nothing but watch the miracle unfold after a little coaxing.

I hope I'll be prepared. Mmmm. I really hope so.

***

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Vel... eet eess noice too gaet complimaents on your bee'daay." :P

Mmhm. I do hope I get a lot of them. ;).
{Oh, btw did you notice that most of my readership is female :P
Unfortunately all of them are elder. Hahaha. }

*Kazarelth notices the people looking at him with raised eyebrows.*

Oh. Er. Um.
{Don't I get a chance to show off my craziness on my b'day?}

Prince K. said...

And I do hope you will put your clap-song into music :D!

Winged Fantasy said...

@Sushant: Thanks Sushant. But the emotional value of the piece was the crux of the story, there is really no plot, no action, but only emotions.

And as far as your "acute lack of sentimental sensibilities" is concerned (bade bade shabd indeed) I would disagree with you. I think your sentimental sensibilities are just as active and as strong as any of us. Just that you may think it to be a weakness to be overtly emotional (From what I can understand... ofcourse I would not pretend to know you inside out). I feel that emotions are one's strength rather than weakness... but that is me... and weird I am. :-)

@standbymind: Thank you Aman. I shall one day... :-)

@aruni rc: Thanks Aruni.
The news of pregnancy means different things to both the sexes. I would not like to generalize. but most often, women are more concerned about bringing a life into the world... the anticipation, the fear of the process and the ultimate joy of having something that is solely theirs, their flesh and blood.
While men, the more practical beings, the bread-earners in the traditional sense are concerned about feeding the child, the responsibility, the efforts. Both try and see the world from their perspective and then work out a mid-way. Afterall Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. ;-)

Here in this story, I have focussed on the emotions of the woman, and chose to take the supportive and understanding side of the husband... not really dwelling into the concerns of the man as such. :-)

Puneet said...

Tender as ever.......
.....................
.........................
.............................
................................
................................

Winged Fantasy said...

@Kazarelth: arre nahin... I dont even dare mess with music... I am an absolute disaster in that realm... bilkul besuri... :-)

@Puneet: and you are generous as ever... always with words, this time with dots... ;-)
Thanks Puneet. :-)

Unknown said...

don leave u have great sense of words and strory weaving

Unknown said...

*nishabdh* :D

Winged Fantasy said...

@protege: thanks again protege... but I am not leaving. This blog is perhaps one thing which is mine completely... every alphabet, every dot, every blank space in it. Isko chhodkar kahan jaoongi main. :-)

@Vibhanshu: shukriya. :-)

Unknown said...

I have always felt giving birth to a new life means so much. The whole process is so aweinspiring for me to say the least.

But somehow I just dont want to have kids. I guess I am so scared of being so responsible for someone...

Impressionist said...

This is definitely by far the best i've read!!
u shud seriously think of publishing a book!!
this one also goes to my favourites!
marvellous! i'm outta words to describe this one now!

Peace & Love
JeeVY

Winged Fantasy said...

@Vibhanshu: hmmmmm... most of us are scared of that responsibility. But nevertheless we have to take it, and once you take it, Its a pleasure. :-)

@Rajeev: thankie thankie. :-)
Publishing a book is something I dream of, but not now... many years down the lane, when I am good enough. :-)

Nisha said...

i've already made two comments for the day..but im tempted to write another one! u know the story went on as i something terrible is gonna happen..but the end was so beautifully written..absolutely amazing

Lalith said...

meenakshi ..

simply superb! is all i can say. Add my name in the meenakshi fan club. :-)

Keep writing!

Cheers,
Lalith

Winged Fantasy said...

@Nisha Punjabi: :-) Thanks Nisha.

@Lalith: Lalith Please dont embarass me... there is no such club and I am really not worth so much prasie. But Thank you very much. I am honoured. :-)

Neha said...

Beautiful, Meenakshi,
no better words to describe the feelings, well written.
You indeed write very well.